Thursday, June 4, 2009

Music

I have ZERO musical talent. I can't sing, cant write songs, cant dance, cant carry a beat. Thats probably why I would say I have an obsession with music, or a great respect, atleast. I think music is the one thing that can really get to your core, and can connect people from all backgrounds, races, religions, ethnicitys and social status'. What one song means to someone else can be as meaningful to another person on the other side of the world, but for a totally different reason, which I find so incredible. For as long as I can remember, I have been super interested in song lyrics. I never just listen to the song or the beat. That may be what initially catches my attention, but then I go to www.azlyrics.com, look up the song, and see what the songwriter is saying, or the story they are telling. It amazes me that no matter what your situation, what your feeling-whether happy, sad, angry, alone...someone has been there and there is a song out there somewhere that can make you feel like there is someone that 'gets it'. When I went through several friends'  deaths I remember being SO angry because I didnt feel like anyone understood HOW I felt or WHY I felt what I did...and no matter how wonderful my friends were, I still felt so alone in the healing process. To some extent, the same as when I've been going through a break up. But there are certain songs out there that I feel are empowering, speak to what I am feeling, and just let you know that somoene has been there before and they got through it.  Clint Black sings a song that goes "Ain't it funny how a melody can bring back a memory, take you to another place in time, it can even change your state of mind". I LOVE that line, because even just typing it, I remember the very first time I heard that song in college and felt like totally felt the same way about songs. Hearing a song can take you back to a time that was happy, sad, a learning experience, etc. Which is why I have so much respect for people like 19 year old Taylor Swift. She writes every single one of her songs. Not just the lyrics-the music, (every instrument), the lyrics, she designs the videos, etc. I love to write, and I feel like what writing songs does for her theraputically is what I think writing whatever comes to mind will do for me with this blog. Pink is another great songwriter. Its great to have an awesome voice, but most people don't know the singer RARELY writes the song...so I think its even better to be able to put down into lyrics a song that relates to people, gets people thinking (John Mayer "Waiting on the World to Change"), or just touches someone in a way that nothing else could. I love music, have always loved music, and probably will love lyrics. Kenny Chesneys "Anything but mine", Sugarland's "Stay"? You can't get much better lyrically than those. Atleast thats my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. :-)

No comments: